Deathstalker is a 1983 sword and sorcery film directed by James Sbardellati (aka John Watson).
Deathstalker is one of several sword & sorcery films that were made in the 1980s in an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Conan the Barbarian.
The warrior Deathstalker is tasked to assemble 3 mystical objects to defeat an evil wizard and free a princess.
- Rick Hill - Deathstalker
- Barbi Benton - Codille
- Richard Brooker - Oghris
- Lana Clarkson - Kaira
- Victor Bo - Kang
- Bernard Erhard - Munkar
- Several sequels to this film were produced, with different actors in the lead role. Rick Hill eventually returned as Deathstalker in Deathstalker IV: Match of Titans (1991).
- Richard Brooker (Oghris) had played the infamous Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th Part III (1982).
- The second sequel - Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell - became Experiment #703.
- Deathstalker was announced as one of the films to be used in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live 30th Anniversary Tour. This plan was changed due to the significant amount of graphic content in the film, and it was ultimately the first sequel Deathstalker II that was used. Little to no material was generated about the first Deathstalker film before the change was made.
- There is no connection between the Deathstalker film series and the series of science fiction novels by author Simon R. Green that also use the name "Deathstalker".