After Yata is lost at sea, his brother Ryota steals a yacht with his two friends and a bank robber. However, the crew runs afoul of Ebirah, a giant lobster-like creature, and washes ashore on Letchi Island. There the Red Bamboo, a terrorist organization, manufactures heavy water for selling weapons of mass destruction; as well as a yellow liquid that keeps Ebirah at bay, presumably controlling it. The Red Bamboo has enslaved natives from nearby Infant Island to create the yellow liquid, the natives hoping that Mothra will awaken in her winged, adult form and rescue them.
In their efforts to avoid capture, Ryota and his friends, aided by a native girl named Daiyo, come across Godzilla, who previously fought Ghidorah and is now sleeping within a cliffside cavern. The group devises a plan to defeat the Red Bamboo and escape the island. In the process, they awaken Godzilla using a makeshift lightning rod. Godzilla fights Ebirah, but the huge crustacean escapes. Godzilla is then attacked by a giant condor and a squadron of Red Bamboo fighter jets. Using its atomic ray, Godzilla destroys the jets and kills the giant bird.
The humans retrieve the missing Yata and free the enslaved natives as Godzilla begins to destroy the Red Bamboo's base of operations, smashing a tower that causes a countdown that will destroy the island in a nuclear explosion. Godzilla fights Ebirah and defeats it, ripping its claws off, forcing it to retreat back into the sea. The natives await for Mothra to carry them off in a large net. However, Godzilla challenges Mothra when she gets to the island. Mothra manages to repel Godzilla and save her people and the human heroes. Godzilla also escapes from the island just before the bomb detonates and destroying the island.
- Akira Takarada
- Tôru Watanabe
- Toru Ibuki
- Chôtarô Tôgin
- Hideo Sunazuka
- Kumi Mizuno
- The Bambi Twin Pair
- Jun Tazaki
- Akihiko Hirata
- Hideyo Amamoto
- This is the first film distributed by Film Ventures International to be riffed on the show. The entire opening sequence is even shown unriffed as the SOL crew takes their time getting into the theater, reluctant to endure another Godzilla movie.
- Like most FVI films, the title sequence uses footage from a completely different movie as background. In this case the footage comes from the 1967 film Son of Godzilla.
- The script for this movie was originally written for King Kong called "Operation Robinson Crusoe", but Godzilla had to be substituted when rights to Kong weren’t available, which explains the uncharacteristic behavior of Godzilla's brief flirtation with Daiyo.
- This is one of the last Godzilla films to feature effects by original designer Eiji Tsuburaya.
- This is the first Godzilla film where the bulk of the action takes place outside of Japan.
- Ebirah's name is derived from the Japanese word for shrimp.