|“|| (Prof. Sikarna gives a long boring exposition)
"Well, that's very interesting, but does it belong in the script?"
- Main article: First Spaceship on Venus (film)
A multinational crew is sent to Venus, believed to be the source of a message discovered in the Gobi Desert.
Invention Exchange: Joel finally puts Servo on the correct setting ("random") which triggers at a mention of Gallagher. The Mads plan on stealing another of Joel's inventions, which turns out to be Junk Drawer Helper, a kit to start a junk drawer. The Mads attempt to present their own invention which is lost in their own junk drawer. They find Abe Vigoda instead.
Segment Two: The Bots create a robot of their own, the XT-5000 Ramjet Super-Configured Limited Edition Lighting Interface, Model L. Joel asks it a difficult question and finds out it only communicates in foam, which starts to flood the bridge.
Segment Four: The Klack Industrial Company presents an ad for festive holiday foods. The edibility of Creamy Clotted Palm Spread, Sir Cheddar Snack-a-Lots, and Creamy Crunchpuppies is pretty debatable.
Segment Five: A discussion of the film; Crow kind of liked it, it reminds Joel of his childhood, and it leads to Tom's sarcasm sequencer overloading and his head exploding. Letters are read as Tom smolders. Back in Deep 13, Dr. F is busy being ill into the junk drawer (which continues through the credits), forcing Frank to push the button on his own.
Stinger: The alphabet gang (the random people wearing shirts with letters on them at the space port) bids the astronauts adieu.
- "I've looked at clouds from both sides now"
- "And what do you think of Roseanne singing the national anthem?"
- In 1990, Roseanne Barr opened a San Diego Padres game with a shrill, atonal rendition of the national anthem, concluding with her grabbing her crotch and spitting on the ground. The video (linked above) indicates how entertained the live audience was.
- "Bidi-bidi-bidi" as the robot arrives to deliver the weather.
- "Now I'm gonna have you watch this movie called 'Mannequin', it stars Andrew McCarthy..."
- Mannequin is a romantic comedy about a sculptor who falls in love with a magically-animated mannequin portrayed by Kim Cattrall.
- The opening lyrics to the closing tune of The Mickey Mouse Club.
- "You're all invited back..."
- A line from the closing song of The Beverly Hillbillies.
- "Irwin Allen presents...!"
- Known as "The Master of Disaster", Irwin Allen produced the films The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, Viva Kneivel! (which later received the Rifftrax treatment), and other disaster movies of the 1970s, along with the TV shows Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (starring Richard Basehart), Lost in Space, and The Time Tunnel.
- "This is a Slazenger 9!" -Crow, when they see the big white sphere thing.
- From the 007 film Goldfinger. James Bond says it to Goldfinger when they are playing golf, as he catches Goldfinger cheating.
- "Oh I love to laugh, long and loud and clear!"
- A line from Uncle Albert (Ed Wynn) in the movie Mary Poppins. Uncle Albert would levitate when he laughed.
Behind the scenes
- Joel Hodgson - Joel Robinson
- Trace Beaulieu - Crow T. Robot / Dr. Clayton Forrester
- Kevin Murphy - Tom Servo
- Frank Conniff - TV's Frank
- Jim Mallon - Gypsy
- Unusual credits: Dr. Forrester can be heard retching and puking over the entire end credit sequence.
- This is the last episode in which Joel wears the turquoise jumpsuit, though it would return for a cameo appearance in the opening segment of Mighty Jack.
- Unusually pointless trivia: When Frank and Dr. Forrester look at each other and then turn to face the camera to introduce the movie, at which point you can see some drool coming from Frank's right lip.
- First use of the, "You look, I'm bitter," riff.
- "I’m on my way!" (Rocketship X-M)
- Released on DVD by Shout! Factory in October 2008 as part of Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary box set, a 4-DVD set with Laserblast, Werewolf, and Future War.
- DVD special features include The History of MST3K (Part I) featurette and the original theatrical trailer.
- Available for digital purchase through Amazon Instant Video, RiffTrax, iTunes, Vudu, and VHX.
|preceded by: Season 1||MST3K Season 2||followed by: Season 3|
|1990 - 1991|
|201||Rocketship X-M||1990-09-22||206||Ring of Terror||1990-11-03||211||First Spaceship on Venus||1990-12-29|
|202||The Side Hackers||1990-09-29||207||Wild Rebels||1990-11-17||212||Godzilla vs. Megalon||1991-01-19|
|203||Jungle Goddess||1990-10-06||208||Lost Continent||1990-11-24||213||Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster||1991-02-02|
|204||Catalina Caper||1990-10-13||209||The Hellcats||1990-12-08|
|205||Rocket Attack U.S.A.||1990-10-27||210||King Dinosaur||1990-12-22|