|“||What sin... can a man commit in a single lifetime... to bring THIS upon himself?||”|
|— Col. Glenn Manning|
Lt. Col. Glenn Manning is inadvertently exposed to a plutonium bomb blast at Camp Desert Rock. Though burned over 90% of his body, he survives and begins to grow in size. As he grows, his heart and circulatory system fail to keep pace with his growth, and he is gradually losing his mind as a result of reduced blood supply to his brain. He reaches 50 feet tall before his growth is stopped. He escapes and wreaks havoc upon Las Vegas before he is finally stopped. 
- The sequel War of the Colossal Beast was released in 1958 and was featured in Episode 319.
- Jean Moorhead (who would later be seen in Experiment 610 The Violent Years in the role of Paula Parkins) appears briefly as a woman in a bathtub as Glenn rampages through Vegas.
- Major Movie Goof - The doctor loudly declares that Glenn's heart isn't growing with him due to the human heart being comprised of "a single cell". Crow retorts "You're not a real doctor are you?"
- During Segment Four Servo quips that Glenn "didn't exactly charm the pants off" Las Vegas during his last visit. Presumably he's referring to the giant's rampage across Vegas, which hadn't yet been seen by that point in the episode.
- Scenes from this film were used in a subsequent Bert I. Gordon film Attack of the Puppet People. In a scene where the hero (played by John Agar) and his date go to a drive-in theater, The Amazing Colossal Man is the movie they watch.
Segment One (Invention Exchange): The Mads make a plant that reviews music, while Joel demonstrates a non-permanent tattoo that can be drawn on a paper wax-board and changed for your newest girlfriend.
Segment Two: Joel tries to teach the Bots how to be sensitive to someone whose spouse has been horrendously injured. The Bots aren't having any of it.
Segment Three: Joel is 50-feet tall, and he isn't happy about it. The Bots don't help at all.Segment Four: Joel and the Bots ponder what it would be like to meet the Amazing Colossal Man, and then get their chance when Glenn drops by.
Segment Five: The crew ponders other things Glenn could have done, letters are read, and Frank discovers the joys of giant syringes.
Stinger: Glenn cracks up and then convulses.
- Tom's unusual amount of emphasis on "your girlfriend's birthday" during the invention exchange was reportedly because Joel was having trouble remembering his cues for that segment, as reported as in The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.
- The mirror box illusion used for the Mad's plant experiment had been recycled from their junk drawer invention in episode 211.
- The MADs introduction to the movie mentions that it's about "a giant mutated guy that doesn't star Richard Kiel"; this was prior to any of his movies being on the show, most notably "The Human Duplicators" or "Eegah".
- "It's Buddy Hackett! And Mickey Rooney too!!"
A reference to the scene from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World where Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney are flying in a personal airplane with a boozed up Jim Backus.
- "I'm huge. Don't smoke, I'm huge now."
A reference to an anti-smoking PSA where Yul Brynner urged people not to smoke from beyond the grave.
- "Hellooooo babyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!"
The footage of the plane crash prompts Joel to reference the plane crash that claimed the life of Chantilly Lace singer J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. (As well as other talents like Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.)
- "Message for you sir!" -Crow T. Robot after a trooper gets shot in the back.
Crow takes a line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The quote comes from Lancelot's servant Concorde, who is shot in the chest by an arrow with a letter attached to it.
- "The horror! The horror!!" "I feel like choppin' a cow in half!"
Quoting Marlon Brando's famous line as Colonel Kurtz at the end of Apocalypse Now! "I feel like chopping a cow in half" describes the grisly scene of a cow being butchered by natives while Kurtz is being assassinated.
- "Hey it's Peter Garrett from 'Midnight Oil!" "Oh the power and the passion!"
Midnight Oil was an Australian rock band featuring vocalist Peter Garrett who sang one of their flagship songs Power and the Passion. The reference here being that like Glenn Manning, Peter Garrett is notably bald. Mike-as-Glenn also makes mention of this resemblance in the fourth host segment.
- Dr. Forrester: Your experiment Joel is the only film about a giant mutated guy that doesn't star Ted Cassidy or Richard Keil. It's 'The Amazing Colossal Man.' Put "The Hurt" on them Frank!
- Frank: Live to serve ya!
- [Colonel Manning running out to save the pilot before the bomb goes off.]
- Servo [as Manning standing before the bomb.]: Hey! FM Stereo! It's a really... wait a minute... what the Hell am I doing out here!? (Bomb goes off.) WWWAAAAUUUGGHH!!
- [After the bomb explosion, the doctor working on Manning tries to console his worried fiancé.]
- Doctor: Your name was the only thing he spoke.
- Servo: Well that and AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
- [Crow comments on the newspaper headline 'US ENTERS KOREAN WAR' cut off by the screen.]
- Crow: "S" ENTERS KOREAN "WA"!
- [Manning during his dream revisiting the same place where he felt the bomb blast.]
- Servo [As Manning]: Oh no... Again?... I got to do this? (Bomb goes off). NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
- [Joel and the bots encounter "Glenn Manning" as played by Mike Nelson.]
- Joel: Well gee Glenn, what are you standing on there?
- Mike as Glenn: I dunno... some planet I guess. Supposed to be "good for ya." Earth I think. (Sniffs the air.) Yeah... Baltimore.
- Commerically released on VHS by Rhino Entertainment in April 1996, the tape was later recalled due to rights issues. This is the only VHS release that has never been re-released on DVD by Rhino.
|preceded by: Season 2||MST3K Season 3||followed by: Season 4|
|1991 - 1992|
|301||Cave Dwellers||1991-06-01||309||The Amazing Colossal Man||1991-07-27||317||The Saga of the Viking Women...||1991-10-26|
|302||Gamera||1991-06-08||310||Fugitive Alien||1991-08-17||318||Star Force: Fugitive Alien II||1991-11-16|
|303||Pod People||1991-06-08||311||It Conquered the World||1991-08-24||319||War of the Colossal Beast||1991-11-30|
|304||Gamera vs Barugon||1991-06-22||312||Gamera vs Guiron||1991-09-07||320||The Unearthly||1991-12-14|
|305||Stranded in Space||1991-06-29||313||Earth vs the Spider||1991-09-21||321||Santa Claus Conquers the Martians||1991-12-21|
|306||Time of the Apes||1991-07-06||314||Mighty Jack||1991-09-28||322||Master Ninja I||1992-01-11|
|307||Daddy-O (episode)||1991-07-13||315||Teenage Cave Man||1991-11-09||323||The Castle of Fu Manchu||1992-01-18|
|308||Gamera vs Gaos||1991-07-20||316||Gamera vs Zigra||1991-10-19||324||Master Ninja II||1992-01-25|