|“||What scares me is they don't have showers.||”|
- Main article: Hercules Unchained (film)
Hercules is asked to intervene in the fight between two brothers over who will rule the kingdom of Thebes. Hercules is waylaid by the seductive queen Omphale and loses his memory. He eventually remembers who he is and resolves the conflicts.
Segment One: While Crow is slightly more worse for wear after his go in the wash and wax, down in Deep 13 Frank and Dr. F's invention of decorator cockroaches gets an unintended boost from the star of today's movie "Steve Reeves". Joel's invention is the Steve-O-meter, which can tell if something's already been thought of by Steve Allen.
Segment Two: Gypsy constructs a set to allow her to show her to be the Hellenistic ideal, but her ability in playing a harp brings this into question.
Segment Three: After partaking of the Water of Forgetfulness, Joel & the Bots try other foodstuffs and drinks which trigger other mental and emotional states: the Carob Shake of Pretentiousness, the Blizzard of Loneliness, the Fruit-Striped Gum of Stability, and the Green Bean & French Onion Casserole of Happiness.
Segment Four: Tom and Crow try to get Joel to explain what Hercules and Queen Omphale are doing all day when they're cuddling and kissing, but he refuses to divulge.
Closing (Segment Five): The SOL crew attempt to discuss why the Hercules series and other fantasy films became popular and the meaning behind them. In Deep 13, Steve is unable to provide any insight. Frank continues to gush over Steve.
Stinger: When Queen Omphale remembers the good times with Hercules, her eyes get very big.
- Joel Hodgson - Joel Robinson
- Trace Beaulieu - Crow T. Robot / Dr. Clayton Forrester
- Kevin Murphy - Tom Servo
- Frank Conniff - TV's Frank
- Jim Mallon - Gypsy
- Alexandra Carr - Magic Voice
- "Steve Reeves" - Michael J. Nelson
- Jim Mallon's favorite episode.
- Joel Hodgson, in a June 15, 2010 interview found at www.mondo-video.com, states that his two favorite episodes are Hercules Unchained and I Accuse My Parents.
- The answer to Frank's question is no. Steve Reeves was not related to Keanu Reeves.
- This episode aired twelfth during Turkey Day '92.
- "He hit big Jake!" (The Side Hackers)
- "He learned too late" speech from It Conquered the World.
- "Hi-keeba!" (Women of the Prehistoric Planet)
Quotes & References
- "Unchained Hercules? Oh Hercules, my darling..."
- "This week on Genesis II..."
- "Have fun stormin' the castle!"
- "Oh-ho the Wells Fargo wagon--- c'mon everybody!"
- "I'm Ralph Richardson!"
Ralph Richardson was a British actor.
- "...I'll send servants and provisions." "And lawyers, guns, and money."
- "Heh heh...Just playin' Narcissus here..."
Narcissus was another character from Greek mythology. He saw his reflection in a pool of water and was so hypnotized by his own good looks he was unable to ever look away.
- "Headin' out to Eden... yea, brother!"
Tom and Crow sing the first lyric of one of Adam's songs in the Star Trek episode "The Way to Eden".
- "This place looks like a Maxfield Parrish painting."
- "Oh, they're taking him to the Tiki Room!"
- "The Mighty Pavog (sic)!"
The Mighty Favog was a character from the Muppet segments on the first season of Saturday Night Live.
- "Hey! It's Ting!"
Ting is a Jamaican soft drink.
- "Jesse! Now Jerome!"
Lyrics from the song "Jungle Love" by The Time.
- "Oh cool, it's like a Thingmaker!"
The Thingmaker was a 1960s toy that enabled children to create their own monster figures.
- "I'm Big Jim McLain!"
Big Jim McLain was a 1952 movie starring John Wayne.
- "It's twue! It's twue!"
- "He's no fun, he fell right over!"
Reference to a comedy album called How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All by The Firesign Theatre. The line "s/he's no fun, s/he fell right over" occurs on both sides of the record.
- "Peace on earth was all it said..."
- "Bend it! If you can't you'll convince me!" "If you can, you're Uri Geller."
Uri Geller is a performer with reputed psychic and telekinetic powers, mostly demonstrated through the ability to bend spoons.
- "It's Madame Trousseau's!"
Crow is mispronouncing the name of Madame Tussaud's, the well-known wax museum located in London.
- "Hobbes, get off me!"
Said while Hercules is wrestling tigers in an arena. A reference to the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, about a boy who imagines his stuffed tiger is alive.
- "It's the Smurfs vs the Skins."
The Smurfs are a race of small blue creatures of comic and cartoon fame. Tom's remarking on how the evil minions in that particular scene are wearing hats with a forward-sticking bulb coming out of the top like the Smurfs' signature hats.
- Commercially released on DVD by Rhino in April 2005 as part of The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 7, a 4-DVD set with Hercules Against the Moon Men, Prince of Space, and The Killer Shrews. The packaging accidentally swapped the photos between the two Hercules films.
- Re-released on DVD by Shout! Factory in February 2018 as part of Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume VII.
|preceded by: Season 3||MST3K Season 4||followed by: Season 5|
|1992 - 1993|
|401||Space Travelers||1992-06-06||409||Indestructible Man||1992-08-15||417||Crash of Moons||1992-11-28|
|402||The Giant Gila Monster||1992-06-13||410||Hercules Against the Moon Men||1992-08-22||418||Attack of the the Eye Creatures||1992-12-05|
|403||City Limits||1992-06-20||411||The Magic Sword||1992-08-29||419||The Rebel Set||1992-12-12|
|404||Teenagers from Outer Space||1992-06-27||412||Hercules and the Captive Women||1992-09-12||420||The Human Duplicators||1992-12-26|
|405||Being from Another Planet||1992-07-04||413||Manhunt in Space||1992-09-19||421||Monster A-Go Go||1993-01-09|
|406||Attack of the Giant Leeches||1992-07-18||414||Tormented||1992-09-26||422||The Day the Earth Froze||1993-01-16|
|407||The Killer Shrews||1992-07-25||415||The Beatniks||1992-11-25||423||Bride of the Monster||1993-01-23|
|408||Hercules Unchained||1992-08-01||416||Fire Maidens of Outer Space||1992-11-26||424||Manos: The Hands of Fate||1993-01-30|