Turkey Day is a Thanksgiving Day marathon of MST3K episodes. It originally ran on Comedy Central and was first held in 1991 to commemorate the show's third anniversary. Special bumper segments were shown between episodes and each Turkey Day marathon from 1992 onwards featured the premiere showing of at least one new episode. Its initial run was from 1991 through 1995.
In 1997, The Sci-Fi Channel ran a Thanksgiving Day marathon, although it was not labeled "Turkey Day".
In 2013, the tradition was revived by Shout! Factory, with six episodes selected by Joel streaming online at mst3kturkeyday.com starting at noon. The announcement of the stream garnered significant media attention. Joel and Shout! Factory have hosted a new six-episode marathon every year since.
Turkey Day '18 is set to air before Thanksgiving (on Sunday, November 18th) because Season 12 is set to debut on Netflix on Thanksgiving Day and Shout! wanted to make sure people were free to watch it. It is the first Turkey Day marathon to not run on Thanksgiving Day.
List of Turkey Day marathons
- Sci-Fi Channel's Thanksgiving Marathon ("Turkey Day '97")
In 2014, Shout! Factory released Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Turkey Day Collection, a DVD set styled as a "Thanksgiving Day Marathon in a Box".
- ↑ http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/mst3k/redditama.html
- ↑ http://splitsider.com/2013/11/joel-hodgson-is-bringing-back-mst3ks-turkey-day/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/article/in-the-nottoodistant-future-the-return-of-mst3ks-t-105800
- ↑ http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/11/18/mst3k-turkey-day-2013/
- ↑ http://io9.com/mystery-science-theater-thanksgiving-day-marathon-retu-1467455682
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c0SI4qflQ&feature=youtu.be